Monday, August 27, 2012

Tropical Storm Isaac!

This weekend Tropical Storm Isaac went by the Dominican Republic.  It was my first one. I've had my proverbial tropical storm/hurricane cherry popped.  Is that too much? Oh well.  We were lucky as of this time.  The storm skirted south of us and instead passed over Haiti.  All we had here were some above average winds, pouring rain from Friday through sunday and a lot of power outages and hours spent without running water.

In reality, aside from the rain, it was no different than living in that dorm over in Russia, where power outages were a weekly (sometimes even daily) norm and no running water was practically a way of life (my last week there the city turned off all running water to the ENTIRE city for 3 days....that was a blast!).

Sadly I don't have any pictures to show you, but on the positive side you're not missing much.  The biggest disruption this storm has caused me was by having students dismissed early on Thursday and no school on Friday.  That's caused me some disruptions in my lesson planning, but there's nothing I can do or could have done about it as the call was made by the Ministry of Education here.

It's been an interesting weekend and it's interesting to see how these storms function as it is currently up by Florida, but we are still feeling the repercussions here int he DR.  Anyways, Dear Readers, we were lucky, but unfortunately hurricane season is not over and August and September are some of the high months, so as the sailors of old once said, we shall keep a weathered eye on the horizon.


No comments:

Post a Comment